Prepare to enter a world of both shadow and substance

Take a journey of body, mind and spirit where you'll encounter things you won't find anywhere else.

Sunday, July 15, 2007

Computers Don't Make Errors

Well, if you've read my blog, you know I haven't posted a new message in a while. Well, since March, to be precise. And the reason (s) were beyond my control. Honest!
On March 30th, I shut down my computer because I was going out of town for the weekend, but mainly because of an approaching thunderstorm and I didn't want anything to happen to my computer that might harm it. I figured if it was turned off, lightning couldn't strike it or something like that, and it would be safe. What was I thinking!? I arrived back home on Sunday afternoon, April 1st, and turned on my computer to check my e-mail. But, it didn't come on right away. In fact, it seemed to have forgotten who I was and no longer had a profile for me. And, not only that, several other things wouldn't work like they had just two days previous, either. I tried to repair the problem. Oh, how I tried!
First thing, I couldn't open any webpage where I had to sign in. That includes this blog, eBay or any other page that requires a user name. I kept tracing problem after problem and trying to repair it, but each problem had deeper problems and nothing would work. As you might guess, I could not download repairs from Microsoft.com, because their pages worked like those requiring passwords, and would not open. I tried everything I could think of, and not a single thing worked.
Also, my firewall stopped working, as did my anti-virus software. I did manage to save my e-mail contacts and create a new user profile that worked - somewhat. But, it just wasn't right. And, I needed my computer to do what I asked of it, when I asked it to. After trying everything, I gave up and figured there was only one solution. To break it all down into one easy word - reformat. Yes, I eventually had to reformat my computer to get everything back to normal and working like it did before I shut it down to be safe.
Guess who was the April Fool?
Never let it be said, anywhere in my range of hearing at least, that computers don't make mistakes. Mine did and nobody had even heard of that kind of error. So, let this be a lesson to everyone. Always try to keep the important stuff you have on your computer backed up where it can be truly safe - nowhere near your computer!


Oh, and one other little side note: The computer problems I experienced prevented me from posting my big Ten Commandments blog like I had intended. So, be on the lookout for it anyway, albeit just a little past due.

No comments: